Thursday, November 22, 2007

Da y 11 - Thanksgiving

Or as it is known in America, the official kickoff for the holiday shopping season. Traditionally known as Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving is generally the day that retailers move into "profit" for the year. So, I suppose one can hardly blame them for aggressive marketing tactics--If I had only a five weeks to make a profit, I'd be pulling out all the stops as well. Stores will be opening at 4:00 AM, 5:00 AM, 6:00 AM with special "doorbuster" sales. Some stores are choosing to open at midnight tonight for "Moonlight Madness" sales. Midnight, are they kidding? After the biggest day of turkey consumption of the year? Have they not even heard of tryptophan??? It's almost 8:00 PM here & I'm barely able to stay awake. Perhaps there is a large epidemic of sleepshopping that I am unaware of, or perhaps this is when vegetarians shop. Personally, even without the ban, there is no product that would get me out of bed that early. Offer me lots of free cashmere and I might consider it, but only for certain colors....

I read an article earlier about a woman who is 24, attending college and working part time, who looks forward to the big shopping day all year, and who is planning to spend $1500 tomorrow. Granted, I have spent $1500 in a day before, but have generally ended up with a house or car at the end of it. She either saves all year or has a lot more money than I ever had in college--I would have been lucky to be able to spend $150 in a single day without selling blood plasma.

No comments:

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...