Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Last night we bid goodbye to 2007, and while somewhat tempted to say "Good Riddance" to a year filled with battles with an ex-wife, an unsuccessful attempt to keep a lawn in a desert, and an impending layoff, we do take a moment to reflect on some of the highlights....

* Learning that neckless mice are actually voles and not simply mice who play football.

* Andy traveling in & out of the country as a female impersonator.

* Being led, albeit unwillingly, into a realm known as "artistic" knitting.

* Developing a new appreciation for being able to buy epoxy.

* Learning that even Walmart is fun after a month of no spending

* Proving once again that imaginative New Year's Resolutions are easier to keep.

For the past 5-6 years, I have found a new thing to do each year as part of my New Year's Resolutions. While I applaud those who seek to lose weight or exercise more, that type of resolution means little in my life. What works for me is to find something new to do each year. One year was to see a "tourist" attraction in my own state every-other month. One year was to host a monthly "soup night" open house. Every year should bring something new & interesting to your life--even if it's as simple as finding a new author or learning a new cuisine.

Last year's resolutions were:
1. To read 10 books--NOT counting audio books.
2. To finish 35 projects (and last night I finished number 75! Smokin'!)
3. To make one new recipe each week (granted, I've done this one for 4 years now, but it's such fun that it has become a regular feature)
4. To learn a new knitting technique (see the adventures in beading as part of the Mystery Stole experience. Note: I did not say I had to be successful...)
5. To swim 2000 laps (alas, I did not hit this one, but the laps I did get in were beneficial, so I can't really say it was a loss)
6. To write at least one blog entry per month. (Score! And I only missed one day during the no-spending month! Can one earn extra-credit on New Year's resolutions?)


This year's resolutions:

1. To continue the "new recipe every week" program, but to select one from every cookbook we own until I have gone through them--granted, this will probably take more than one year,
2. To write at least one blog entry per month--I know better than to try for daily
3. To read 10 books
4. To finish 30 projects--the catch is that everything I make in 2008 has to be from The Stash. No new fabric or yarn until 2009! I must remember that this sounded like a really good idea in 2007.....

And we're off to a happy 2008!!!!!

1 comment:

SusieH said...

Great resolutions, all...happy new year!

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...