Sunday, January 6, 2008

I am about to be banned from listening to NPR

We have NPR to thank for the idea of the can't-buy-anything-new month, though thankfully I am enough of a realist to have not insisted on a full year. Now I have a new project:

Friday NPR had an interview with Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food. He made several points that I tried to convey to people when I worked for the American Diabetes Association--eat foods in or close to their natural state, shop the perimeter of the supermarket--staying away from the "canyons of processed food" in the center of the store, and cook your own meals as often as you can. As Mr. Pollan says, "Don't eat anything that your great-great grandmother would not recognize as food."

Since I grew up in cattle ranching country, it is possible that my great-great grandmother would not have recognized anything that wasn't beef accompanied by gravy as food, but we're going to choose to be a little less literal with this one.

Starting February 1, this is our new project. Nothing processed, nothing that has unrecognizable things listed as ingredients--basically eating foods as they would have been found 100 years ago. Sort of a "Supersize Me" in reverse. We want to see what changes, if any, we'll notice by eliminating all processed foods.

I think I'll miss microwave popcorn the most....

3 comments:

SusieH said...

Wow!!! You're inspiring me, here...

Will be watching, and cheering you on, and possible even copying if I can get the nerve, and the menus, up!

Sultana said...

Hello Toni,

My family and I tried this one last fall. I was so surprised that so much of what we eat is processed. I am curious how it goes for you. Good Luck!

Camille said...

After taking a course at uni about food psychology, that was one of the main take-home points: food has evolved faster than humans, and our bodies don't know what to do with it... And a whole pile of specifics I wont go into!

I wish you the best of luck, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out!

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...