Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Best Laid Plans

As you have probably noticed, the blog is public again. It turns out that Google will only allow up to 100 readers per "private" blog (believing that 350 or so people really qualifies as "public"), so I was either going to need to make duplicate copies of the blog & post to each of them, take bids for the 100 spots, or learn to hack into Google's software. So, until I think of something different, we're public again, but with a sprinkling of obsessed ex-wife repellent:


Our wedding was a year & a half ago, and the divorce was over 4 years ago, so yes, as one person put it, we are dealing with "a special brand of crazy here." I thought that summed it up nicely.

It's nice to be in a "normal" month, but except for a few exceptions (a white chocolate martini, Diet Pepsi, and each getting one stick of a Kit Kat bar), we've mostly stuck with the new eating habits. Sad confession--I still haven't finished reading In Defense of Food, but I guess since we've lived it, Mr. Pollan would understand. To be honest, since he is a journalist and not a nutritionist, his books do need to be taken with a grain of salt, but all books about eating need a "spin" of some sort, since we all REALLY know how we should eat--lots of green vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean meats in moderation, and probably nothing at all with "Hostess" on the label. I do enjoy some of his maxims, however:

"Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants."

"Do All Your Eating at a Table. (No, a desk is not a table)"

And my personal favorite...

"Don't get your fuel from the same place your car does."

Love that one!

The one that would have surprised me had I not worked with nutritionists & dietitians for 3 years while working for the American Diabetes Association:

"Avoid food products that make health claims."

This one is surprisingly true. Next time you're in a grocery store, look at the commercially packaged breads and compare anything with the word "grain" in the name to regular whole wheat bread--especially the fiber. A dietitian told me years ago that the more claims a bread makes about "whole grains" the less likely it is to have them. I don't know if this is universally true, nor what advertising loophole allows this little paradox, but whenever I check breads in the supermarket, she has been consistently right.

We live in a very strange world.

4 comments:

SusieH said...

What a lovely picture of your wedding day. You two are an awfully cute couple!

Son of Renaissance said...

You know what I have to say about that! This picture says it all!

Oh man, I wanna say it sooooo bad! but I won't, because between us, a picture says a thousand words.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/madmax2/Mack/Impact.JPG

Son of Renaissance said...

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/
madmax2/Mack/Impact.JPG

There...had to make sure the whole link was in there.

Son of Renaissance said...

Thanks for that info on the labels as well, I'm learning something every time I come here, which means I need to hang out more often. Sorry for the multiple postings you can just delete that missing link one...wait...missing link? I think we got a live one here :O

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...