Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The first results are in!

The third package to "Bananas" went out yesterday--the two week mark for her through-hike of the Appalachian trail. If she makes it all the way, it will take roughly 6 months & she'll travel over 2000 miles. Not exactly my idea of a good time, but then again, if you want to experiment with food dehydration, there's no one better to practice on than someone stuck in the wilderness!

We received a letter today with the first "results" of our packages. Andy's "calorie bars" (known as breakfast bars in the backpacking cookbook but sporting 170 calories per 1-inch square!) are really messy and crumble everywhere, Andy's Jambalaya is fabulous--we're going to have to try it ourselves now--and backpacking stoves aren't hot enough for pancakes but produce a slow-cooked gluey mess pretty nicely. The bean-cooking experiments started with the second or third packages, so we'll see how my first attempts at beans as food turn out. It's not that there's anything inherently wrong with beans--it's just that I don't like how people generally cook them. Just the smell of ham hocks & beans used to send me fleeing from the house when I was a kid--still would, but it's my house now and they are strictly forbidden--and the three-bean salad my mother used to make was only short of liver as a culinary experience designed to curtail my appetite. And whether it is the taste of cumin or the fact that it's generally fiery enough to leave my taste buds gasping on the floor, I have never liked chili. So, I am cheerfully fixing large pots of food I know nothing about, dehydrating them, and sending them off to a friend stuck in the wilderness. And I'll be she thought the indoor plumbing thing would be the REAL deprivation......

1 comment:

SusieH said...

You are SO funny! I love reading about the Great Trail Supply Project - crossing fingers that your bean projects will be palatable!

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...