Saturday, April 5, 2008

Counting Down

We have just over a month left before Andy's job of 18 years ends and the 90-day "Can't Buy Anything New Experiment" begins.

Hm.

It was a little easier to go into a one-month experiment, probably largely because we had no idea what we were getting into. This time...we have a little more perspective, which is quite a dangerous thing to have when one is embarking upon a new experiment. If one stops to think of all the things that might happen before one does things, one would probably never leave one's home. I have dated people like that, and while it is a very safe, very calm way to live, it would positively bore me to tears. So, with a little time to prepare, and the spirit of adventure, we're going to dive right in.

Interestingly, I understand that somewhere on the web is a blog with people who have signed up to all do a month of not buying anything new--either March or April, I think. I'm quite pleased, even though I assume we didn't inspire them. I never thought of making any of my experiments group efforts. Andy, of course, has to play along because he's married to me, but I had not thought of a play-along-at-home version. While I am quite willing to put myself through any number of odd adventures, persuading other people to do so is something I'm not prepared to do. But, wherever the group is--good luck & bravo for trying it!

Our rules are going to be the same as last time. Things can be repaired but not replaced (this to protect my 14-year-old Toyota Corolla). In one (and probably only one) way this will be a little easier than the first round, because we do not have quite the impulse spending tendency that we used to have. And I have exercised a little more sense--such as not doing it at Christmas time, stocking up on stamps, light bulbs, shoe laces, and gifts, and double-checking Andy's supply of epoxy. Heaven help me, we'll probably never run out of that stuff again!

1 comment:

AliveInBoise said...

Andy plays along because he loves you, and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...