Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chocolate Martinis in Three Weeks!

A few weeks ago, Andy thought we had found a 'no-cheating" chocolate martini (kahlua & vodka), which was pretty exciting as we could then use our two weekly "cheats" on something else. Since then, we might have run into a snag.....caramel coloring.

We actually haven't yet had to address the problem of food coloring. Our rules have been no ingredients we couldn't identify and/or obtain for ourselves. We can buy food coloring, but from what I can understand from researching a little, while I could make caramel coloring from sugar, odds are that the caramel coloring we can purchase (assuming that we can--I need to check the store) would be made--like everything else in America--with high fructose corn syrup, which has just been outright banned this year. So....the jury is still out on that one. In the meantime....

I made Kahlua.

You start out by mixing equal parts of sugar & water together an boiling them to dissolve the sugar.
This recipe then has you cool it slightly, then add instant or ground coffee....we went with the "Award-winning Sunrise Breakfast Blend" version--though I don't really think of Kahlua as a "breakfast" beverage...especially not after creating sugary coffee sludge
There are some recipes out there that call for espresso or instant coffee so you would skip the sugary-sludge part, but as I don't actually like the taste of espresso or instant coffee, it seemed likely that I wouldn't like them in anything.

Then it's mixed with vanilla & either rum (for Tia Maria--which I'd never heard of) or vodka (for Kahlua), then stored in a jar for 3 weeks to stew/marinate/ferment/whatever--shaken daily.

Appropriately, ours will be ready on tax day!

2 comments:

yarninmypocket said...

Awesome!! Though I think I prefer my coffee as coffee, personally. I look forwards to the taste-testing report, and would also point out that it's but a short step from steeping your own coffee liqueurs to brewing your own beer.. ;)

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

Why they suggest adding Tia Maria is beyond me. Tia Maria is a coffee liqueur! If you have some already on hand, why would you use it to make some?

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...