Sunday, March 29, 2009

It Begins.....

IT'S GARDENING TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sort of. It's currently 34 degrees, so it's only time for really hardy things that like cold. This week I picked up some butter lettuce
broccoliand the really exciting news......TWIGS IN POTS!!!!!! Which will someday--God willing--be blueberry bushes. Can you imagine going out in your backyard and getting blueberries? I'll let you know how that works for us in a few years--hopefully. An older gent who was also shopping for plants assured me that blueberries aren't terribly difficult to grow, but he could just be a retiree who has decided to liven up his days by terrorizing the horticulturally clueless in nurseries by giving quite fictitious assurances just to see if they fall for it. Guess we'll see on that one.....

3 comments:

Abby said...

You are a REALLY early gardener! Most of the local garden shops around here do not open until April 1. My problem with blueberries is getting the soil acidic enough. But maybe your soil is ok?

yarninmypocket said...

Ooooh, blueberries!! I grew up eating little, wild, tangy English ones - bilberries or blaeberries - picked off the moors in the sunshine and shoved into my mouth before they'd had a chance to cool down. Once your belly is full, you can use them as 'lipstick' and 'blood' and other fun makeup objects. I guess they do need an acid soil though - they thrive best where the heather does. The very definition of ericaceous soil! So for me, they'd have to live in pots - where I live now, we have the limiest soil imagineable.

yarninmypocket said...

P.S. After getting the mini-greenhouse set up, and the seeds and potatoes put in it? It froze last night. Gah!!

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...