Friday, February 5, 2010

Things I Have Learned This Week

*  Do not underestimate how much water a pillow can actually hold

*  If a recipe says something like "carefully pour," I'm in over my head.  I don't think I'd even know if I was carelessly pouring, and if I wouldn't recognize if I was doing something wrong, how would I ever figure out how to do it right?

*  Having successfully made zucchini chocolate cake obviously gave me a foolish sense of optimism about my ability to make desserts.  A recent "caramelized pumpkin custard" incident has put me back in my place.

*  It is possible to cook a custard for an extra half an hour and STILL not have the knife come out clean like the recipe says it should.

*  Going out and stirring up the compost bin is a good way to squelch spring fever

* A goal to read 100 books during a year can be made much easier by reading a lot of short "mind-popcorn" types of books, even if they are a little silly and predictable

*  If you and your spouse have made the rule that the one who cooks doesn't have to do dishes, it's best to also make the rule "leaving dishes 'to soak' is a complete load of crap"

*  If you spent a large portion of last winter entertaining a cat with a cast, the cat might start to believe this is your function during winter months

4 comments:

Rachael said...

lol re your cat problem. My one dog TOTALLY thinks it's my job to entertain him and/or provide a body to warm him up at all times.

高雄 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RobinH said...

You mean entertaining cats is *not* our function? That is not what our cat thinks, that's for sure!

Viviana said...

your pumpkin custard must be related to a nightmarish pumpkin flan that I tried - it was completely inedible.

I had a good recipe for pumkin flan, but damned if I can find that one again.