Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Have You Ever Noticed.....

*  That no matter how much rain, snow, and wind we get this time of year, spring clothes are always designed for warm weather?

*  That the muddier the cat's paws, the more likely it is to sit on the white furniture?

*  That when someone claims that something "is a sign from God," it's never a "sign from God" to quit using God to make political statements or get bigger television ratings?

*  That the people who are most likely to be screaming about making English the official language of the US are the most likely to butcher the English language themselves?  I mean, shouldn't one at least be fluent in one's native tongue before complaining about the fluency of those who speak it as a second language?

*  That advertising is really all about making us unhappy with the things we HAVE so we will want the things we don't have?

*   That the people who seem to have the firmest opinions about all subjects--and are the most likely to share their opinions with everyone--are the ones who are least likely to have researched the basis FOR their opinions?

*  That while every salesperson around can explain to me how I can be connected 24/7 if I got a new "smart" phone, none of them can explain to me why I'd want to be?  What's so smart about that?

1 comment:

Alacaeriel said...

I have to agree with you on the language one. I'm a student teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages (so called because at least half my class speak at least 2 languages already), and I'm learning stuff about English in that class! I'm always tempted to ask such people if they know the basics of verbs, nouns, past perfect tense, etc. My lower intermediate English class does, but I'm willing to bet that those people don't.

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...