Saturday, March 5, 2011

Square Foot Gardening

I have decided to try square foot gardening this year--at least in one bed.  I'm rather intrigued after watching a DVD I borrowed from the library, so I have ordered the book and when it arrives, I'll explain it in a bit more detail.  Basically the idea is to divide your garden bed into square foot grids, and plant like one tomato or 16 spinach or 4 cabbages in that square foot.  The closeness helps choke out the weeds (which I cannot keep up with in our normal beds--not that I try all that hard, to be fair) and it should conserve water as well.  The things I like about it is the ability to try just about anything (I may not want something badly enough to plant a row of them, but I can give up 12 inches to try anything), and that you plant flowers in some of the squares.  I love that.  I love flowers but have very little idea what I am doing, so this will be a flower testing ground for me.  I feel lots of guilt when I kill an entire patch of flowers, but if they don't grow in their little square, I just replant it with something else--no matter what it really looks like.

Okay!  I am NOW ready for spring!!!!!!!

2 comments:

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

I've done square foot gardening for years - it's a great way to pack a lot of stuff into a smaller space - and it is definitely a time and resource saver. Have fun!

Abby said...

I am having a hard time picturing a tomato plant in just one square foot of garden. Looking forward to this experiment!

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...