Friday, May 27, 2011

Okay, Sometimes Martha Has Some Good Ideas

Normally, I am not a Martha Stewart fan at all. She reminds me of a bossy older sibling with her insistence that she is sharing the "Perfect Way" to do everything, and her lists of daily and weekly cleaning tasks just make me laugh. But I do have to concede that she does have some good ideas once in a while. Like this:

Growing File - Martha Stewart Home & Garden

for keeping seeds organized and keeping track of what grows and what doesn't. Now in our 4th year of gardening, it finally occurred to me this year to pay attention to what types of plants I'm growing and whether or not they work. Apparently I've even gotten smart enough to not even ATTEMPT the traditional heirloom-tomato-that-sounds-fun-but-never-actually-gives-us-tomatoes experiment. I'm not saying I'm actually going to go running out there with index cards in hand because mine would be too filthy to read in about an hour, but I will admit that it might be helpful if I did..........

2 comments:

KT said...

Hmm. That is a good idea!

Abby said...

Last year I started keeping track of my garden stuff using a spreadsheet. One page has a list of plants/varieties, when planted/transplanted, when germinated, days to first fruit, etc. On another page I record rainfall. A third page has a graphic representation of my garden layout, to help me with planning and crop rotation. And so on. I find I am more likely to update the spreadsheet than write things down in a diary or on file cards. Also, I keep leftover seeds in my refrigerator; not sure what that would do to the file box.

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...