Friday, May 13, 2011

Things I Have Learned This Week

*  When Yahoo updates, I lose my calendar settings.  When Blogger updates, I lose my blog post complaining about the Yahoo updates.

*  A decorative thistle is still a thistle

*  Only an idiot tries to do all the spring planting in one day.

*  Just because a "flat" of petunias takes up about the same room that 20 petunia seedlings might take up, it does not therefore mean that a flat contains 20 petunias.  The number seems closer to 50.

*  100 petunias is a LOT of petunias.

*  100 petunias take up more space than one might think.

*  No matter how many times I verify it in the book, having 4 potato plants in one square foot is a bit frightening to me--especially now that the plants are growing at least an inch a day.

*  Strawberry plants can survive a lot of things, but apparently not my weeding attempts.

*  I'm less crabby about the moles eating our tulip bulbs now that the iris are starting to bloom

*  Finding out that a flower is a "heavy reseeder" before planting it might have been a bit more useful.

*  All directions on seed packets make plants sound fussy and hard to grow.  Even the ones that have started expanding and taking hostages.

2 comments:

Ella said...

Are we talking Aquilegia? Mine are starting to bloom and looking so lovely. Who cares that they've taken over the garden? ;-)

Viviana said...

Yahoo! & Blogger upgrade... just so you know, your "Dear Yahoo" letter showed up on my Google reader, but it's not on your blog - go figure! (If you want the text, just let me know - it was pretty funny!)

When I saw the Yahoo! upgrade invite (upgrade early!) I immediately interpreted is as "screw up your mail settings early!"

I understand it will happen whether I want it to or not, but I've yet to have one of these upgrades that didn't result with me using all the four-letter words I know in one very long sentence. Over and over.

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...