Thursday, August 4, 2011

Okay, Guess What This Is......

I can't find my notes from last year, but as I actually have 4 of these odd little round things, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they are the elephant garlic I planted from the ONE head of elephant garlic I got last year and diligently saved so I could plant it this year and have FOUR heads of elephant garlic.  The pencil is there to give you an accurate picture of the insultingly small size of these blasted things.  We haven't tried them yet as I just harvested the garlic a couple days ago, but these are a bit of a mystery.  They are completely smooth and round to look at, and all of them are.  I wonder if we're just not the right climate? 

I ended up with far less garlic than the last two years, so I have already set aside the biggest heads to be planted this year, and probably won't be sharing with anyone this year.  I'm actually going to try to pay attention to how many garlic cloves I plant this year, so I can get an idea of how much we actually use.  This is the latest I have ever harvested garlic, so my usual drying area is a bit too hot for it this late in the year, so the garlic harvest is currently in my closet smelling up my clothes.  At least my closet is going to be free from vampires.  I wonder how it works on moths...............................

2 comments:

Abby said...

I just learned that elephant garlic is actually in the leek family. Maybe yours is regressing?

Last fall when I planted four varieties of garlic, I actually labeled each row AND indicated how many cloves had been planted in each row. I'm usually not so organized, but it was really helpful.

Alison said...

I have had a few garlics turn out like this this year, andi have never sown elephant garlic. My parents had itnhappen last year. A few other people were bemused over similar occurrences. Last night, a friend told me it happens to regular garlic when there are not enough cold days during the winter part of its growing season - which makes sense, cos these didn't make it into the ground until spring.

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...