Saturday, November 12, 2011

All Mixed Up

Today I am canning red tomatoes.  The green tomatoes we picked a couple weeks ago have been happily ripening here in the kitchen, so I should be able to put up another 10-15 pints.  As I cook with a lot of canned tomatoes, this really, really is a good thing--even if I have no greater desire right now than to take the canners outside and beat them into pancakes with a sledgehammer.  With only one income, one of the reasons we tell ourselves that gardening is a good idea is that it saves us money.  I think it actually might even do so--my future therapy bills not withstanding.  In all actuality, because jars can be reused and we eat a lot of salsa and I eat a lot of pickles, I think the garden pays for itself with just those two items, but now every additional jar of tomatoes I get from the garden saves us about $1.25-$1.50.  So while today's $15 or whatever doesn't seem like much, it's all extra now.  We've spent all we're spending on the garden for the year, and every extra can of tomatoes is pure "gravy" right now as it were.  This sort of thinking is what saves me from running down the street screaming and throwing tomatoes at passing cars.

Because the climate has changed so much, I am still canning while it would be very helpful to be able to eat some of the things I have made.  Usually, this overlap doesn't happen as there's still fresh stuff.  Unlike past years, so far I haven't flipped out entirely at the mere mention of OPENING a jar, and we've even enjoyed some lovely chicken soup.  Today I am using some of the basil pesto that has basically overrun one of the freezers.  The fact that I need the freezer space in order to freeze the extra vegetable broth might have something to do with it.  But being in an opening AND canning mode is very, very weird.  I think it would be wisest, however, for no one to go near those darn jars of canned tomatoes just yet..........

1 comment:

Abby said...

My freezer if full, too. Trying to make an effort to switch from fill-it-up mode to eat-out-of-it mode. The soups I froze last winter are just right for lunch.

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...