Saturday, January 21, 2012

I Have New Workout Buddies!

After shoveling the 6-inches of snow we received on Wednesday, my back was understandably sore on Thursday, so I went to the pool for an hour of swimming and walking to loosen up some of the muscles.  It felt so good that I decided to go again on Friday, and seem to have picked THE most popular time to be there.  When I arrived, there was a woman whom I believe to be in her 60s swimming laps, an older gentleman (late 70s or early 80s I would guess) walking laps in the pool WHILE using hand weights, and an extremely fit man of perhaps 60-65 also walking laps.  We were quite the busy group, and were soon joined by two large men with larger beer bellies who--in the presence of such activity--chose to sit in the pool and chat rather than bestir themselves to any similar exercise.  Personally, I was inspired by my other compatriots to pick up my pace just a bit as I think I was the slowest of the walkers.  I eventually met the oldest gent as he walked quite as long as I did, and found that he was walking one mile in the pool for his "cool-down" as he had already lifted weights AND walked THREE miles on the treadmill for his daily exercise.  He was as genuinely nice as he was inspiring, so I added arm weights to MY walking as well.  He was quite right--it did add to the workout, and I'm hoping to get a bit of practice in before next Friday to make sure I can keep up with him.  He knew the lady swimming, but I haven't had a chance to meet her yet, as her workout comprised 90 laps of swimming (I believe all crawl-stroke) without any stops.  I made a note of the time I arrived at the gym just to make sure I know when to hit the gym on Fridays.  Besides being the friendliest people I have encountered in the pool, the delight of watching all the condescending young men who were peeved at finding an "old lady" taking up the one roped-off lap lane only to find themselves finished swimming laps before she even stopped for rest was QUITE entertaining.  :)

1 comment:

Abby said...

Old age is not for wimps!

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...