Monday, February 27, 2012

Getting the Postage Rip-Off Award This Year

People are doing a lot of complaining about the U.S. Postal Service lately, which is stupid frankly, as there is no commercial service that will take ANYTHING anywhere for about 50 cents, no matter how loudly the Far Right screams about privatization.  And what is really unfair is that the post office is taking flak for things they aren't doing.  For example, this year I ordered seeds from Burpee.  I wanted to go elsewhere, but they had a zinnia I really wanted and I couldn't find it anywhere else.  It's a complete rip-off at $5.95 for a packet of 25 seeds, but if I get them to work, I will be harvesting the heads like a fiend so I won't ever have to buy them again.  The package arrived today:
and for this tiny package filled with 8 packets of seeds (like 25 in each packet), Burpee charged me...
 
Almost $9!!!  For which they probably paid the actual U.S. Postal Service about $4.

Not that I had ever intended to do business with Burpee again anyway, but those zinnias had better grow like weeds.  

2 comments:

Georgi said...

I hate ordering seeds, I prefer picking them up at a big box store, because that was way too much for zinnias.

Georgi said...

But those are gorgeous zinnias :-)

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...