Sunday, March 18, 2012

Happy St. Patty's Day

We celebrated St. Patty's day with some good friends--all 4 of us have an Irish ancestor, so it seems like this should be "our" holiday.  In all truthfulness, since I never met my Irish great-grandfather and there are no Irish family traditions, I've never really felt any more connection with my Irish heritage than any of the others.  My ancestors seemed to drop any traditions they had once they arrived in America, so I had never even tried corned beef and cabbage until after college.  Like the traditional Norwegian foods my great-grandmother would have grown up with, I think I can understand why they opted for other things when they married and raised a family.  I don't mind it once a year, though it always makes me eternally grateful that there isn't one day a year when everyone in America decides they are Norwegian and opts to celebrate with fish soaked in lye, though I think I could whole-heartedly endorse a day where everyone decides to have French baguettes, Brie, and some excellent wine.............

No comments:

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...