Saturday, July 7, 2012

And It Begins.....

Garden season is truly underway, and this
is the latest installment of the Squash Saga here at the Chateau.  This year I didn't even bother to think about which squashes I might actually want.  I planted several seeds, replanted them when the first ones didn't sprout, and we'll just see what we get.  The seeds were yellow Hubbard, buttercup, spaghetti, and butternut squashes.  Whatever came up, 
they're at least not zucchini.  Frankly, I'm declaring victory at this point, because I seem  to have planted and gotten winter squash.  No matter what happens from here on out, I think it's the best year I've had already.

The cool new zinnia is up and blooming:
and I'll be harvesting every single seed they produce, so I don't have to shell out another $6 plus $10 shipping for 25 seeds next year.  They're a short zinnia, which makes them MUCH easier to cope with in the garden bed.

Most of my new flowers are doing well.  The forget-me-not is doing well,
 and thankfully this:
 did turn out to be the thing I actually planted:
 I only planted 9 seeds, but this, a "godetia monarch dwarf," really looked like some sort of infestation, and I was beginning to think that I had gotten a new weed for the year.  I don't care how often I look at those darn seed packets--until there's a flower on them, I can't tell whether it looks like the picture or not.  And sometimes not even then.

The old standards are doing well and duking it out with the weeds in the corner.  Next year we'll build a permanent greenhouse here, so I had no qualms about putting my most prolific re-seeders back here.
I'm NOT taking care of them, and if there are plants that can take care of themselves, it's Cosmos, Bachelor Buttons, and zinnias.  This year I even added a new Cosmo:
 which has these cool tube-shaped leaves:
They're a nice addition back there, and if they take over THAT space, more power to them.

And, the big news on the gardening front today:
Our first potato!!!!  5 more and we'll beat last year's harvest.  Whoo hoo!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Mandy congratulations. The garden is looking good and the plants doing well. A healthy potato as the start to your crop is quite a bonus. Hope your potato crop exceeds expectations this year.

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...