Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Are You Sitting Down?

This year I planted yellow zucchini and got,
 Yellow zucchini!!!!   I planted patty pan squash, and this morning saw the tiny start of a spaceship squash:
I planted sugar pumpkins, and it looks like I'm getting:
 sugar pumpkins!!!!  I planted red Hubbard, and am getting:
Fair enough, it's yellow right now, but I think it's going to turn red.  It's at least a Hubbard.  Granted, I did plant some that didn't  come up, but I actually seem to be getting squash I planted!!!!!!!!!!

My garden believes in equilibrium, so  
I can't decide if this was supposed to be a striped zinnia or a Whirligig, but I didn't even have seeds for a yellow zinnia.  It's bright and cheerful--but it's not what I planted.  Nor, actually, is this:
which really was supposed to be striped.  These fared a bit better on the striping front,
 though this one seems to have not seen the picture of how the stripes were actually supposed to look:
 It's interesting, and still a flower, so in MY garden I'd better count this as a "win."  At least it didn't come up as a potato or something.  I think I can live with "close enough."


2 comments:

Abby said...

I was just thinking about your squash seed "surprises" today. Glad to see they are obeying She Who Plants! Zinnias, on the other hand, always look pretty, even if they aren't the color you expect, so yes, a win.

Cindi V. Walton said...

The zinnia seeds you gave me are about to bloom. Can't wait to see what they are?

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...