Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Once And Future King

Done!  All 29 discs (minus a little skipping of a few tracks on the last disc) have been listened to.  33 hours.

If I had been smart, I would have tried the books one by one, as the 5 books are broken out separately in some versions, though in all honesty I would never have made it through the fifth one, The Book of Merlin.  It seems to have been published posthumously and is often (and in my book, wisely) not included in The Once and Future King.

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would.  Having been forced, while in college, to read bits of Le Morte d'Arthur by Mallory, I have given all Arthurian works a very wide birth in self-defense, I was delightfully surprised by the humor of T.H. White's version.  The first book, The Sword in the Stone, was fun and actually not too distorted by the Disney version.  Parts dragged a bit, but the first 4 books are certainly worth reading--though a reasonable library might give someone an extended period of time to listen to a 29-disc book compared to a 5-disc book, or break the books up into smaller segments so the listener can listen at leisure rather than in a maniacal bent, but borrowers can't be choosers...

1 comment:

Dana said...

Total agreement on The Book of Merlin. It's not included in my copy and I say good riddance!

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...