Friday, September 14, 2012

Things I've Learned This Week

*  When the going gets tough, the tough ignore the zucchini

*  Even if one is the favorite aunt, understandably, the first-time hatching of lizard eggs STILL takes precedence over one's birthday

*  There isn't a mother in the world who can compete with the worrying level of a 91-year old "mommy"

*  I've always known armchair quarterbacks, but thought that armchair political campaign managers might be the wost wide-spread unqualified experts.  That still might be true, but armchair doctors run a very close second.

*  Sarah Palin might have been right about those "death panel" things after all, only they actually already exist and they're called "Blue Cross Insurance."

*  Even if you have to chase it down and catch it in the bedroom yourself, a live mouse birthday gift from your cat really probably is a token of affection

*  One of THE best problems I have ever had is trying to keep up with the calls/emails/messages from friends to see how I'm doing and how my father is doing and seeing if we need anything.  Not that anyone ever wants to go through a crisis, but it's a whole lot easier to do it when one has friends on one's side.

1 comment:

Alacaeriel said...

Happy birthday! Also, yay for friends! When my mother "took a tumble" (read as came remarkably close to death) late last year, my phone was running hot with calls from my friends and Mum's friends checking to see if Mum and/or I needed anything.

Also, what did the poor zucchini do? Not grow at all or overgrow? Or is it popping up where it wasn't planted and has no right to be?

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...