Thursday, October 18, 2012

Do You Think There Are REALLY Any Undecided Voters Left?

I've been working as a political consultant (campaign coordinator on a Congressional race, then campaign manager on a state senate race), and I'm one of those weirdos who rather enjoys politics, but even I am sick of the election.  How bad is it for those who didn't find it fun in the first place?

Early voting opened this week, and I went yesterday after my physical therapy, and I am pleased to say there was a line.  The part of me that isn't sick of the whole thing was thrilled to see people eager to vote, though the thought occurred to me that we were all waiting to vote early because we're all sick and tired of the election.  I know the debates have only just started, but there isn't a thing in the world that Romney could say that would make me vote for him, and every Romney supporter I know would say the same for Obama.  So who on earth are these "undecided" voters?  I don't think the US has been so polarized since the Civil War or the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s, so who are these nice, persuadable people still somewhere in the middle? 

Presumably, I guess, they are in Ohio.  Forget representational government, forget democracy--the state of Ohio seems poised to be the group that elects our next president because of our electoral college system and their number of electoral votes.  I think I might be speaking for the residents of the other 49 states when I say that this is a terrible system.  Whichever way it goes, there are a whole lot of taxpayers and voters who won't agree with Ohio.  And with the BILLIONS of dollars corporate interests are funneling into the election, what is to stop them from relocating workers into Ohio to swing the election?  The amount an INDIVIDUAL can donate to a campaign is limited--Political Action Committees (PACs) can spend all the money they want, so the chances for corruption seem unlimited to me.  With all the money, I think even fewer voters believe in our system and certainly don't believe their vote counts, and in most states (like mine), it doesn't.  

No wonder we're all so sick of the election.  

1 comment:

bittenbyknittin said...

I too am sick of the elections - ALL of them - and even though my vote won't count nationally, it does count locally. Even though my candidates usually lose (this is a red state), I still love to vote, if only to register which side I'm on. What bothers me is all those who don't vote at all. The more local the election, the more your vote counts AND the more the results will affect you. Besides, if you don't vote you have no right to complain.

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...