Saturday, October 27, 2012

Oops

Since it's fall and we recently received a side of beef from my parents, the freezers here at the Chateau are rather filled.  I blame it on the pain medication that I managed to forget this little problem when I bought these:
Fred Meyer often has "red-band" bananas, which are 10-20 cents cheaper per pound than the others, and most of the time I just peel and freeze them.  I used to always sprinkle a bit of lemon juice on them to keep them from browning, but now I've just opted to live with the browning.  It doesn't seem to make much difference in smoothies.

This year I came up with the rather brilliant idea of making and freezing smoothies to have for a fast, no-processed-food breakfast:
which worked really well while the weather was hot, though after trying one this week and shivering for several minutes thereafter, I'm thinking that will be the last batch until spring.  And it didn't use up nearly as many bananas as I had hoped, so Andy dug out the dehydrator for me.  One can dehydrate foods in an oven, but I've dehydrated food for so long that having a separate dehydrator has been a good investment for us.  Oddly, dehydrating food has been one of THE biggest challenges for the no-processed-food diet.  It isn't the preservatives--it's trying to keep the food from sticking to the trays.  You may not be aware of this, but a dried banana is a fiercely sticky object, and when it gets attached to something, it's quite determined to STAY attached.  Finally, a very helpful soul introduced us to this idea:
We keep a bag of the papers butter cubes come in, so they're ready in the refrigerator for:
 It doesn't really look like it does anything, but it works like a charm and honestly works better than nonstick cooking spray because I don't have to find a place to spray the screens where I won't mind everything getting coated with spray that goes through the holes. 
Perfect!

No comments:

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...