Monday, December 10, 2012

The Language of Flowers

My book club is currently reading The Language of Flowers.  I've always found it interesting that Victorians used flowers and plants to convey secret messages--or maybe not so secret, depending on who saw your flowers, I suppose.  I'm not very far along in the book because I keep falling asleep while listening to it, but so far I have discovered:

*  Right now one is greeted at our front door by "refusal" and "resentment."  And there I was, just thrilled that some flowers were still alive

* "Innocence" is really prone to aphids

*  We have been overrun by "wisdom" and have been pawning it off on anyone who has come to our house recently

*  I felt stupid enough when I killed off an arborvitae shrub at my old house because they're so low-maintenance. Now that I know it stands for "everlasting friendship," I feel guilty as well

*  I lost "conviction" a few years ago because I forgot to dig it up at the end of summer

*  Our herb bed has been overrun by "suspicion."

*  Bringing someone a green salad might mean you're contributing to dinner OR it can mean "cold hearted." 

*  One probably had to hope that the object of one's message had the same flower dictionary you did.  Basil means "hate" in one, "love" in another--possibly depending on one's personal feelings regarding pesto........

2 comments:

bittenbyknittin said...

Arborvitae means "everlasting friendship" because it makes a good "fence" between yards. BTW, arborvitae are easy to take care of as long as they are not infected with bag worms.

Ella said...

Considering that the only herb I managed to grow from seed last sommer was Basil, I'd rather go with the "love" option, thankyouverymuch. Then again ... do you think the reason that all the other herbs died in seedlinghood, so to speak, was the Basil spreading hate? Oh my ...

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...