Friday, January 25, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

You might have noticed that, for once, I have not made any New Year's Resolutions this year.  Normally, I really love thinking of new projects to do for the year, but with my back being almost as bad as it was last year and a long, hard year finished, I think my main focus this year is just going to be to get my back healed.  The fact that I was out breaking ice off the sidewalk and driveway yesterday and can actually still MOVE today is progress, but I still have a long way to go.

I am, however, continuing my 100-books-a-year project, and have one new twist to add this year:  at least 12 of the books need to be books I have moved at least once and which may not be shelf-worthy.  This came about mostly from this:
I picked up this little book on a clearance table somewhere or perhaps through a discount book seller while I still lived at the Orange-Carpet apartment (a memorable, aesthetically-challenged apartment that was home to some of the best parties I have ever thrown), which means that this little book was packed up and moved into my first house, then packed up and put in storage when I sold that house, then moved and unpacked again when we bought this house.  Obviously, I have already put in quite a bit of effort in my relationship with this book, so this week I decided it was high time to read the thing.  And, I hated it. 

I realize that with our long history together, my expectations were rather high for this book, and having discovered Deric Longden's The Cat Who Came in From the Cold last year, the bar was rather high, but it still boils down to having lugged around a rambling, disjointed book by a rather unlikeable man for 10 years.  Of course, Mr. Amory is completely unaware of the trouble his book has caused me, and I can hardly fault him for that as I'm not even positive he's still alive, but I am still feeling slightly chuffed that I have probably put more effort into this book than he did.  So this morning I attacked our book shelves, which all look about like this:
to find more books that I thought had at least been moved once and/or were "read-worthy" but not "shelf-worthy."  
I've already read and donated The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton, which I didn't think was up to her normal standards (which probably makes sense as it was finished after her death, and one never writes so well when one is dead as one did while one was still alive), and the dratted curmudgeon book makes 2, so obviously I have a few extras here.  This is in case I am either VERY ambitious, or very curmudgeonly in my own right and refuse to finish some of these.  I am pretty sure at least 8 of these have moved twice as well, so I hope they turn out better than the curmudgeon.  As the spring library book sale approaches, I also hope none of them surprise me and qualify as "shelf worthy."  We are rather notorious for buying books by the pound or sackful, and could frankly use the shelf space..........

1 comment:

bittenbyknittin said...

Taking care of your back is resolution enough! Re books, my philosophy is, unless it is a "reference" book (e.g. cookbook, knitting book, gardening book, etc.) OR it has sentimental value (e.g. signed by the author, gifted, etc.), out it goes. We have a great library system here - no sense in duplicating their efforts. Like you, there is limited shelf space. The other day I actually threw some out-dated technical manuals into the recycle bin, but you have to be in the right mood for that.

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...