Thursday, May 30, 2013

Not Quite Dead.....

I didn't think the garden and I really had anything new to go through, but
I was wrong.  Now we have "damaged, but not killed by frost" as a category.  Above is the cucumber that received the most frost damage last week.  I've been removing a few dead leaves a day--just in case the loss of half the plant would kill it from shock--and it's looking good.  I've never had a plant recover before, but maybe the garden has run out of "normal" things to spring on me, and is branching out.  This is the plant that I transplanted twice, so it's obviously a freak anyway.  But, we might still have June cucumbers!

This:
 is the most surprising thing in the garden.  The cinnamon basil plant had the most damage out of any of the plants in the garden,
but now has new growth on it.  Can you believe it?  The only reason the plant is still in the ground is that I just haven't gotten around to ripping it out and replacing it.  It didn't even occur to me that it might survive.  I have a couple more cinnamon basil plants I haven't put in the garden yet, but if this one survives, I'll take the smallest one and try making a houseplant out of it.  If it has THAT sort of determination to live, it's my kind of houseplant!

1 comment:

Ella said...

The best thing about basil is that the cats leave it alone, they don't like the smell of it. Good luck on the houseplant experiment.

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...