Tuesday, June 11, 2013

We Just Picked Our First Cucumber!

So, the cucumber that survived being transplanted and frosted has now produced
cucumbers!  Or, cucumber singular, I should say.  But for the last several years (or since Theo took up "helping" me with them), I don't think I've even managed to harvest a cucumber in July, much less June.  The harvests have been dismal enough that we are running low on pickles, so I thought this year I would plant ONLY pickling cucumbers.
Often, they're still pretty decent to eat, but this one was RATHER bitter.  The good news is, it's still early enough to plant a few slicing cucumbers as well, which I think might be a good idea.  I love cucumbers, but a summer of bitter cucumbers might be a bit depressing.  There are two more plants not far behind this one, so it's possible I could start making small batches of pickles later this month.  Once nice thing about living in a place with 4 seasons is that one can usually forget about them until they roll around again, so it's not at all surprising that I can mention starting canning season early without fear.  I've had the rest of the year to block it all out...............

No comments:

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...