Sunday, July 14, 2013

Canning Season Has Begun!

Thursday the weather was actually below 90, so I broke out the canning equipment and made my first pickles for the year. It has begun!
Andy had to get into the crawl space this weekend, so he had to dig things out of the dwarf closet (closet under the stairs), so I got a chance to do an inventory of what we still have.  I was thrilled to find a few more jars of dilled carrots and some carrot salsa--both of which are REALLY good and which I thought we'd run out of.  I haven't used as many canned tomatoes as I usually do because the last two winters I've been laid up with the back and haven't made nearly as much soup as usual, but we've finished off several "favorite" items.  After the last couple years, I don't mind getting a bit ahead.  With the extreme heat that is the new "norm," one never knows if we'll even have a garden from year to year.

1 comment:

bittenbyknittin said...

Just pulled 5 pints of dill relish from the canner. You have inspired me! I got my pickling cukes from the farmers market, but the onion and garlic are from my garden. Good luck with you endeavors!

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...