Thursday, August 8, 2013

And Round Three Is Underway

Two weeks ago I went to see a physiatrist for my back/hip, and he has sent me to a different physical therapist.  Tuesday was my first appointment, and I really feel good about her.  One thing I've learned over the years is to be deeply suspicious of people who make quick judgments and don't change them, though usually doctors and medical people are outside of this.  But it cheered me to no end when she out-lined a few things that were happening, explained that it wasn't clear yet what were the cause and which were the effect, and said we would change the treatment as we go along.  The first thing she addressed was a big sore knot in my lower back, which has probably been there for some time and would be tied up with the constant pain of the last two years.  She worked it out quite gently, but it still hurt and I haven't been able to sit comfortably since, but I haven't been able to sit without hurting in a year and a half.  It was a much less intense pain, and my movement has been better and less painful.  I had a busy and tiring day yesterday--I didn't hurt but couldn't sit, so I was in motion almost all day.  A big change from Monday when I was in so much pain that I was in tears and Andy made an emergency run to the store to get Tylenol, which is the only pain reliever I can currently take because of the ulcer. 

I know it's only day two, but I am really, really hopeful that this long saga will finally be over.  I have been very fortunate to have Andy's support--and that of my friends--during all this.  And I'm also fortunate that I have the strength to avoid those people who aren't supportive--those who think I should just magically feel better and be able to drive 4 hours round-trip because they want me to, never mind if it might cripple me for a week.  The reality is, not everyone can see outside themselves or think about what someone else is going through, and those are the people to keep at a distance.  The people I have chosen to be around have been marvelous--they understand, they're supportive, they know I may or may not be able to do things, and they really have helped get me through this.  While I hope I stop needing it, I will never forget their support. 

And now we're off to Day TWO!

No comments:

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...