Monday, August 19, 2013

Let The Canning Games Begin!

It's impossible to say yet whether this will be a good or bad year for tomatoes as it's still early and a few of the plants missed the first fruiting, but I have been washing the early tomatoes and popping them in the freezer until I had enough for
This is a tomato-basil simmer sauce, which I don't think I've made before, and which had the same problems all the BHG canning recipes and I have:  even if I go way over the supposed "cook-until-thick" time, I still end up with more sauce than I'm supposed to.  In 80 minutes of simmering, it was supposed to cook down to around 11 cups.  This is what I ended up with after 95 minutes.  Oh well.  It's perhaps a bit thinner than I wanted, but the recipe said a variation was to add some chopped dried tomatoes right before canning, so I did, which should absorb some of the extra moisture.  And this time I had extra jars prepared--which is probably a first for me. 

I have my first follow-up appointment with the physiatrist today, then I hope to have enough time to can a few pickles tonight.  Canning season is underway!

No comments:

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...