Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Things I Have Just Learned To Live With

*  Just because everyone else's garden froze last week doesn't necessarily mean mine isn't still going strong.

*  When trying a new canning recipe, it's always a good idea to have a few extra jars ready.  Especially when the recipe says idiotic things like "cook until thick."

*  There are times when I will use TWICE the number of jars a canning recipe says I will.  While it may indeed be a time for rampant cursing, it isn't a cause for panic.

*  If I had decided to plant only part of my tomato starts, I would probably have had very few actually producing.  Deciding to plant ALL of them seems to inspire a competitive streak in them for overproducing.  There is nothing in between. 

*  NOT planting zucchini has made me very popular with my other gardening friends, and has landed us with more zucchini than when we grow the silly stuff.

*  A refrigerator is much bigger in the store than it is during harvest season.

*  Living in Idaho doesn't actually guarantee that one can grow potatoes easily

*  No matter how dedicated I think I'll be, I am always ready for the garden to die when October rolls around--which seems to invigorate the garden.  Dang it.

1 comment:

bittenbyknittin said...

I too am ready for a killing frost. Instead, we still have tomatoes and peppers. I like the *idea* of gardening year 'round (or as close as I can get to it in zone 5), but for that to happen, I would have to actually want to BE in the garden occasionally this time of year.

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...