Friday, May 2, 2014

365 in 365

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my entire life has been swallowed up by the back problems, and it isn't quite as easy to move past that as one would think.  For one thing, I'm still required to rest my back periodically throughout the day, and have to use timers when doing things like gardening, cleaning, or yard work so I don't overdo and give myself a set-back.  In over 3 years now, this is the closest I have come to getting back to a normal life, but I still get very frustrated by the occasional set-backs.  I decided I needed a project to focus on that is independent of my back and won't be affected by good or bad days, so Wednesday I kicked off my latest project:  365 recipes in 365 days.

Thanks to the New Recipe Dinner club we're doing, I've been experimenting with food more, and learned how to braise cabbage last month.  I don't think I've braised anything in my entire life, and have only cooked cabbage in stir-fries, but it was really good and made me curious.  Obviously, not everything can involve a new technique, but thanks to the pain medication, I've had more chicken noodle soup in the last 3 years than I care to contemplate, and I need to move on.  

I kicked things off last night with two new recipes:  Fennel-Crusted Pork Tenderloin and Balsamic Roasted Asparagus.  The asparagus was marginal, but the pork was wonderful, and has already been added to our "favorites" list.  Not a bad way to start things off..........

This morning was a Brown-Butter Scramble with Avocado on toast, which was okay.  I'm not a really big egg person--nor that fond of avocados--but I was curious about the browned butter.  It was interesting, though the avocado was a bit bland.  They had some variations listed, so I might go back and try one with other vegetables in the future, but I've now browned butter.  And it broke the monotony of our "hot cereal or peanut butter on toast" breakfast routine. 

Three recipes down, 362 to go..................

No comments:

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...