Saturday, January 3, 2015

Catching Up

Wow!  SUCH a busy holiday, and with the exception of our Christmas party which I had to cancel because I caught a very nasty bug making the rounds, I didn't miss anything.  I haven't been able to say that in 4 years.  Whoo hoo!

Speaking of not missing things, I felt my first earthquake today!  Challis, Idaho, is a little town in central Idaho that managed to be built RIGHT over a fault line it seems.  In 1983 they had a quake measuring 6.9, but I missed that one.  It happened in the morning and we were in a car riding to school and knew nothing until we found the entire school loaded onto buses in the center of the football field.  Two weeks ago, Challis had a 3.7 quake, but we're pretty far away for that.  Idaho isn't well-known for quakes, but geothermally, we are rather an interesting state.  We have Craters of the Moon, natural hot springs scattered liberally throughout the state, and we're close enough to Yellowstone for the population to start squirming when discussions involving the term "super-volcano" occur.  But I was so surprised when the room had a good, hard, shake that it didn't even occur to me that it could have been an earthquake.  For the people of Challis's sake, I'm hoping there won't be an even bigger one in another 2 weeks.

 

No comments:

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...