Makes 5 half-pint jars
¼ cup light mustard seeds
½ cup dry mustard
2/3 cup apple juice
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon allspice
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1. Combine the seeds, dry mustard, apple juice, vinegar, and water in a glass or ceramic bowl and stir, mixing well.
2. Let sit 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally. (Cover bowl with plastic wrap.)
3. Process the mixture in the bowl of a food processor until the seeds are coarsely ground.
4. Cook the mixture in a double boiler over simmering water, adding the shallots, sugar, salt, allspice, and basil. Cook 20-25 minutes. The mustard will thicken as it cools.
5. Pour into sterile jars. Cap and seal. Allow flavors to marry 2-3 days before using. Will keep in refrigerator 2-3 months.