Monday, December 14, 2015

Almost There!

I have read 99 books for the year so far.  A lot of them have been audio books, because honestly that is the only way I would ever be able to do this.  And I usually have more than one book going at any time--there's an audio book in the sewing room, one on my phone, and there was one in our bedroom, but I just made the executive decision that if I still don't care for the book on the third disc out of 6, it's time to call it quits.  Besides, there are others.

I've been rereading a lot, which I've always done.  Not everything is worth reading twice, but some things I can read over and over again.  Like this:
This is a 1945 book of Grimm's fairy tales, mercifully before the era when parents decided children were too "fragile" for these tales which have been around for hundreds of years.  I must have read this at least a hundred times growing up, and still know much of it by heart.  To fair, they don't always have morals--I probably wouldn't have liked them as much if they had, although my favorite, "The Fisherman and His Wife," certainly has one--the fisherman's wife demands more and more from the magical flounder, and finally goes too far and is left exactly where she started.  Reading the story as an adult, I do feel sorry for the fisherman because he's a kind soul and is obviously married to a nasty old bat and remains so at the end, but fairy tales don't believe in divorce, though one can murder a troublesome spouse.  I guess I can see why people freaked out about the original stories, but I still like them better than the Disney ones. Maybe we're more entertained by darkness than we like to think..........

1 comment:

bittenbyknittin said...

Oh, I like dark, so I would probably prefer these Grimm tales, too. Like you, I listen to a lot of books on CD (while knitting). There is a ReadFW26 page on FB that I joined this year, with the goal of reading 26 books during the year. I'm up to 50 - binged last winter, slowed down during gardening season, picked up again in the fall. And like you, I don't bother finishing ones I find uninteresting - life is too short and there are too many other, more enjoyable books out there.

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...