Friday, February 26, 2016

Let The Gardening Games Begin!

I have planted lettuce, spinach, and kale!
Which is the most excitement kale really ever gets, isn't it?  We've had such warm weather and they're so cold-hardy that I could have put them in a few weeks ago, but it's still early enough that the "old saws" will be lining up to tell me how wrong I am.  Whatever--it works every year, and while we're hearing how I shouldn't do this or that, we're usually harvesting the lettuce that isn't supposed to grow.  Our temperatures are rising drastically every year, and last year our final frost was a full month earlier than average and it's going to be even warmer this year.  I need to get some cleanup done in the greenhouse, and it will be time to get starts going in there--YIKES!  Where does the time go?

Between fungus and scorching temperatures, we're going to cut back on tomatoes this year.  It's just too hot for them unless they get shade, so I'm taking a break from even trying to grow more than one or maybe two.  If I want to can something, I can buy them.  They don't taste as good as a successful tomato harvest, but they taste a lot better than tomatoes that can't fruit because temperatures are over 110 for weeks.  :)

No comments:

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...