Thursday, February 4, 2016

My Taste Didn't Grow Up

Thanks to our library's app, I can download and listen to audio books on my phone, which is the first thing that's made me really happy about upgrading to a "smartphone."  What makes this setup even better is that I can listen to kid's books without anyone knowing.

Yep, I'm 45 and I listen to children's books.

At first it was just the ones that I thought were "classics" but that I had missed:  Pinnochio, Anne of Green Gables, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Then I moved on to the Percy Jackson series that one of our nephews was really into.  Then on to the sequel series.  Now it's anything I can find.

As far as I'm concerned, kids get better stories than adults do.  No horrific violence.  No heaving breasts.  No mid-30s-woman-putting-her-life-back-together-after-divorce-and-inevitably-involving-a-circle-of-girlfriends-(one-of-whom-will-get-cancer).  No heroine standing in front of the mirror and describing her appearance.  No misery-memoirs (fabricated or otherwise).  No look-how-my-southern-family-messed-up-my-life retrospectives.  Just originality and story.   

I may be old enough for reading glasses (sigh), but my literary TASTE certainly isn't. 

2 comments:

Melodye Ray said...

A good read is a good read!

LoriU said...

I got hooked on the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini... had to wait for the last book to come out, like forever!

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...