Monday, August 8, 2011

Random Updates

*  We had a wonderful weekend camping with friends (me managing to not take a single picture all weekend).  I do have to show you this, however:
 Our tent has a pet door!  Complete with mosquito netting, so a pet could presumably have a window to the outside world without letting bugs in.  I love it.

*  One of my new "whirligig" zinnias bloomed while we were gone:
which is now my current favorite flower, followed closely by this:
 which is (I believe) a candy-stripe zinnia.  Now that it has actually successfully grown, I'll check the package.  I try not to get too emotionally invested in anything in the garden until I actually see it growing. 

*  While we were gone, my zucchini overabundance problem was taken care of:
by squash bugs.  Part of this may live, but I'm not working too hard at it.  I have removed a bunch of eggs from the zucchini plant that I actually planted, so we should still have MORE than enough zucchini.  I have sprayed the cucumbers and remaining squash-related plants, so hopefully the problem has been contained.  With any luck, I killed some slugs as well.  

*  Still no sign of any ripe tomatoes except for those on the Sweet 100 cherry tomato.  Sigh.................

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Good luck with those tomatoes. Ours have just started ripening. It is the small variety which is ripening first.

The Look

Anyone who thinks cats can't learn things hasn't lived with one. It took Theo maybe a month into his diet to figure out that I can...