Friday, March 20, 2009

It All Started With Soy Sauce

So during this little experiment of ours, before we can use something, we often have to do a little research into how the particular thing is made. This week's was soy sauce.

Soy sauce has, in fact, been around approximately 2500 years, so obviously we would be able to make it without a processing plant (always a good thing), so as long as the soy sauce we buy is made in the same way, all is good. The bottle we have in the fridge seemed okay, but I wanted to double-check a bit, and oddly, Amazon is a great resource for hard-to-find groceries (and we found our coffee and end tables there, but that really has nothing to do with this story). I was browsing through the "condiments & sauces" category, when I ran across this:




Bacon-flavored mayonnaise--which conveniently comes in a three pack, as of course this is one of those items that you wouldn't ever want to run out of. Wait--it gets even better. For friends and loved ones:There's a gift set, complete with bacon-flavored lip balm. Because I just can't tell you how many times I've kissed Andy and wished he was more hickory-smoke flavored.....

Well butter my backside & call me a biscuit--I think our Christmas shopping is done for the year!

4 comments:

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

'Butter my backside and call me a biscuit' - I LOVE that!

And now that I'm aware that bacon-flavored lip balm exists, I plan to getting some for my husband. He thinks I have an unnatural attraction to bacon - for a Jewish girl.

SusieH said...

OK...that is just SO wrong!! Love it.

Mandy said...

What a peculiar idea!
I noticed a bacon-flavour air freshener when I followed the link to see more about this bacon-flavoured mayonnaise. Why???
Really strange............
The whole idea really made me chuckle.

yarninmypocket said...

ROFLOL!! I read this, chuckled a bit and told J. We agreed that baconnaise was scary and odd, but would probably taste quite good in a 100% artificial additives, guilty secret kind of way. Then I told him about the lib balm and he astutely observed, "That'll be a tube of pig fat, then?"

Yes, he could be right. The Lard Marketing Board. may well have come up with a masterstroke.

The New Additions

Shortly after moving, we had to put our oldest cat down, so we have adopted 2 new kittens to keep Theo company: Mostly Theo is not thr...